Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Racist or Not?

I know I should avoid newspaper column that tout the Barack Obama campaign as "historic", but like a moth to a flame, I can't resist. It's remarkable to me that very few seem to understand the point that we may want to vote for someone other than Obama. They surmise that if you don't back Barack, you must be doing it because he's (part) black. There's no other reason why.

Here's what's funny....I keep reading that "it's time" to elect someone like Obama. This, to me, can only mean we should vote for him BECAUSE he's black. Just like we should've voted for Hilary because she's a woman. It's simply time. What's funny is that those who are urging this change because "it's time" will be the same ones crying racism if McCain wins in November. Thus, the columnists say you should be voting for Obama because of the color of his skin, not the content of his character. Those that trump Obama are coming off as the racists they rightly decry. Fascinating stuff. Head spinning.

By the way, why is Obama continually referred to as African American? His mom was white. Doesn't this make him mulatto? How about "Half-rican American"? No?

Looks like I'm workin' tomorrow. 9am sharp.

No comments: