Friday, June 27, 2008

50

This marks the 50th post since I began this blog back on January 9th. If you're a late-comer to the party, thanks for checking it out. I created this blog as an outlet for my fears and frustrations in the wake of being fired from KWNR. Much of the six months in which I had to sit out my non-compete were pretty solitary during the day. My dog was my constant companion, and we got into a rhythm of going for morning walks, checking out the dog park, doing chores. I would've gone nuts without him, and probably would've consumed a lot more alcohol. Ok, definitely consumed a lot more. Still, a dog isn't someone you can really talk to, not when your feelings and emotions are all scrambled. can you believe that I actually considered retaining the services of a psychiatrist? I was just really messed up. My moods would swing by the hour. Thing would pick up when the wife got home because I could actually have an adult conversation. It also helped that she would oftentimes complain about work, so I remembered what I was missing.

I sure don't miss much about KWNR, save for the people I worked with. I seriously doubt that I'll work with a better bunch. The money I'm making at the new job isn't nearly what I made at KWNR, and that's something that's a growing fear. I will not miss constantly proving myself and getting no appreciation for it. That's about as plain and simple as I can put it. I wasn't asking for a Gatorade shower every day, just the occasional nod that I was appreciated and was an asset to the station. But, with KWNR and Clear Channel now run by salespeople, that would never come. Not a thanks for all the worthless interviews pushed on us, the concert openings that made you drive clear across town to do. I know I've heard it before that sales pays our salaries, but I'd stake my life on the fact that the radio station made more off of me than I made off them.

So the new job is underway, and though it doesn't have the high profile that comes with a morning show hosting gig, I think I'm, adjusting well. The staff at KDWN has been tremendously supportive and professional, right up to the top of the upper crust. I know I can do more to help them, but I'm not going to push it right now. I don't want to be that guy on the bench who whines to the media about how he wants more playing time. Don't we all think that the guy should just shut up and consider himself lucky to be on the team? That's where I'm at right now.

So there ya go. 50 posts. Though them all, you'll read how I fought the unemployment blues and won...and lost. You'll read the discovery of my mom's (treatable) cancer. You'll read thoughts that are much easier to type than they are to say. Now it's onto the next stage. Who's with me??

No comments: