Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Update! Update!

My Mom's test results are in. A couple of weeks ago, they removed a cancerous lymph node, so she underwent a petscan (pretty much an all over bodyscan for cancers) and the always fun bone marrow biopsy. The results were mostly positive. The cancer was contained to that one lymph node.

But...

The petscan showed another minor cancer in a lymph node in her chest. She'll go back in a month for a follow-up on that one. No chemo or radiation needed. She can still drink martinis on a daily basis, and I think that was mom's biggest concern.

That big bit of good news means that I can once again use this blog to wallow in the self-pity of my unemployment. I went to the Review Journal's Job Fair that was held down at Cashman Center. I've been to job fairs in the past, but the crowds were nowhere near what they were today. Imagine yourself standing outside of the gates of a general admission, sold-out concert. You can't move, you can't breath, and quite possibly someone just pinched my a**. That was the high flying atmosphere inside. Tremendous fun.

The whole job fair experience showed that there are a lot of people out there like me. Sure, some may be working currently, and stopped by the job fair to see if there was something better at hand. Or maybe they were just there for the free Review Journal. Yes, I grabbed one (I never miss NORM!). Whatever the reason, there were a ton more people than I expected, and that made me feel equal parts good and sick to my stomach. I left there feeling better about myself, about my prospects, about my future. No, there wasn't any prospective employer that I'd want to slave for, but I left knowing I can do better than what was being offered. It was a confidence booster, something that really put a spring in my step as I headed out. I needed that spring, too, as the crowd forced me to park a mile away from the event. Confidence + a cardio workout + mom's fine = a good day today.

Oh, I almost forgot. CLEAR CHANNEL RADIO was at the job fair! Hilarious, in light of news that came down this week that CC has instituted a hiring freeze for the foreseeable future. They're not even close to hitting their budgets, and are cutting to the bone. You know it's drastic when they're not hiring any dead weight salespeople. At long last, they're reaping what they've sewn, and it's wonderful to be on the outside looking in.

No comments: