Monday, January 28, 2008

A Fork in the Road

I've taken a couple of days off from writing this blog, but that doesn't mean that i haven't been thinking about what to post. Lying in bed, I've written 12 of these in my head, but when it comes time to actually type out my thoughts, I just don't feel like doing it. I'm sure there's some medical term for this. I KNOW what I want and need to do, but I just don't do it. "Lazyness" doesn't cover it.

Example: resumes. Part of the fun (and by "fun" I mean "torture") of the search for a new job is updating the resume. A couple of weeks ago, I did that, but now the next step involves getting it printed on a really nice piece of paper, not just the type I have in my printer. I guess that requires a trip down to Kinko's, and Lord knows I have plenty of time to do that. I just choose not to. There's a Job Fair tomorrow, so it sure would be nice to go in completely prepared. At this hour, I know I won't go in prepared. Heck at this stage, I might not even go in at all.

Here's where I am. I still want to be involved in radio, but the business has changed so much in the last ten years that I've come to despise it. Why work in a business that I openly ridicule? Because it's the only thing that I can confidently say that I'm good at. I've had success doing it, I've enjoyed doing it, and there's rarely heavy lifting involved. My kind of gig. I know there has to be something else out there that I would enjoy doing, but I don't know what that is. Do I really want to start completely over at the age of 42? There's not exactly a big demand for 42 year old white men to fill employment rolls these days.

Going to this job fair tomorrow would be a signal to me that I'm willing to throw away 12 years of success and achievements without even trying to climb aboard another station. I'm not an insurance salesman, I'm not a travel agent, and I'm not a banker. I'm a radio guy, like it or not. And I'm stuck in a business I despise, run by people who have no idea what made radio a successful medium in the first place. It's a weird place to be, but here I am.

Oh, before I forget, KWNR's ratings took a dump the first month that I wasn't there. I don't want to say that my dismissal was responsible for that drop, but if I was responsible for any of that, I'm tickled pink.

Coming soon, an interesting (hopefully) look behind the scenes at how radio really works, aka "They Don't care What You Think"

No comments: