Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Hot and Bothered

It's been almost two weeks since my last posting. I used to do this 3-5 times a week. Now, I barely have the energy for two middling entries per month. It's not that I don't have things to say. It's that everything lately just seems so uninteresting. I'm stuck in the cycle of the endless re-run, where nothing is fresh anymore.

Major celebrity dies a drug- related death and the fight begins for his estate? Seen it. A public figure who's heavy into family values admits to a nine-month affair? Seen it. Bickering politicians, cheating athletes, teachers laying the wood (or rolling out the carpet) to their students, senseless shootings, dumb car wrecks that leave innocents paralyzed, dying too young, living too long, and the Brewers folding like a tent. All have the distinct smell of a basketball locker room after a triple-overtime game. Nothing arouses much passion in me lately. Not sports. Not world affairs. Nothing. Maybe I can only have passion for those things I can directly control (my marriage, my health, my cooking). Otherwise, it seems like a waste of a good emotion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy guy. Solid relationship, a "normal" family, a strong core of pals, and a job I don't hate. I'm just seeing a little more clearly why people don't get involved. Being appreciated amongst the small circle of people that are involved in your daily life is hard enough. Making a difference? Changing the world? Not for this cat. I've seen many a saintly do-gooder fall by the wayside after giving it a go for awhile. I'll take care of myself, thanks. Some may call that selfish, but by not depending on others. I call it my little way of giving back.

Meanwhile, on Fox- Supreme Court confirmation hearings. Democrats love her. Republicans don't. Seen it. Sigh

No comments: