Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Booze For Thought

One of my favorite shows is "Intervention" on A&E. The show follows along an addict down a road of destruction fueled by their own addictions, be it alcohol, drugs, obsessive compulsiveness. The show has the intended consequence of making me feel better about myself while at the same time making me yearn for a drink. I'm pretty sure that's not the purpose the producers had in mind.

Anyway, last night's show focused of a woman whose life was ruled by vodka. Her marriage, her kids, her career- all lost because of her inability to quit drinking. I was not bothered by this. I felt no sympathy. What irritated me the most was the way that she drank. She would go to the liquor store and pick up several little bottles (the ones flight attendants dole out) of vodka, bring them home, then chill 'em and swill 'em. My anger stemmed from the fact that she could've saved more money by buying a huge jug of the stuff over individual sized bottles. I wasn't worried about her liver- but her wasteful spending. Ah, but she's a woman, so...

Come to think of it, I've never seen an "Intervention" episode about wasteful spending. I'm guessing that would air on Lifetime: Television for Women

No comments: