Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Life and Death and Questions Without Answers

The best way to describe today was "strange". Technical difficulties. Surly co-workers. And, most of all, a co-worker dying. He worked weekends. I had only met the guy once, and seen him a second time. We barely exchanged more than a couple of words and he came off to me as kind of surly. Right now, I can't remember if his name was Dan or Don. He died in his sleep. Late 40's, I think. Even though I didn't know him, I've been affected by his death. I learned about it around 1pm and I've been feeling odd ever since.

Dying in your sleep. Really, the last thing I think about before turning in is the fact that I might not wake up the next day. The guy who died was only a couple of years older than me. What's to say my body won't just shut down in a few hours? I'm sure I'd hear from the deceased's family and friends that they never saw this coming. he wasn't the picture of health, but I've seen many in worse shape live much longer. I have aches and pains every day, and it's something that I simply chalk up to getting another day older. I never think that a certain new pain is the genesis of something that will eventually bring down the curtain. But, who's to say that it won't?

I might not sleep so well tonight. And I don't want to work tomorrow.

No comments: