Monday, July 21, 2008

Scratching My Head

My mood today can best be described as "confused". More than a few things are puzzling me today, but I won't waste your time going into all of them. Sometimes, I get the most satisfaction out of solving the confusion and moving on to the next item to be confused about. Having all the answers all of the time must be incredibly boring.

I'm confused why we should need leaders. After you get to a certain age, you should be the one to take the lead in your life, right? Otherwise, you've done everything wrong. The black community suffers from a lack of leaders, I read. So does the Hispanic community. Why do they need leaders? You never read about the white or Asian communities needing leaders. Why is that? This just implies that the black and Hispanic communities are weaker at their core. True?

I don't get how the word nigger can be both the worst word possible, while at the same time being a term of endearment....all depending on who utters it. Hell, I was was afraid to type it just then. How can the most slanderous word a race has be used by someone of that race and be considered a compliment in some cases? Try and come up with another word as an example. That could be your life's work, because you'll never be able to do it. This was debated on "The View" last week and it made me want to stab my eardrums out with a pencil.

Watching TV during the day may just be hazardous to my health. Every other ad has something to do with some new medication for something "you might not even know that you have". The portion of the ad that talks about the side effects is longer than the portion of the ad that talks about the benefits. That can't be good. Now I'm confused as to whether I'm basically healthy or not. I might have something I don't even know that I have. I guess you don't know anything until you find it out, right?

Dentist appointment tomorrow. I'm confused as to why dentistry is the only medical science that seems to be stuck in 1972. Scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape, scrape. 45 minutes of scraping. There has to be a pill or lozenge or something that cleans your teeth and destroys your tartar much better than the endless scraping will do, but they're holding onto it somewhere. But, hey, I get a new toothbrush when it's all done. Just like 1972.

I'm confused as to why, when someone disappears, a woman is usually described as a "mother", while a man is described as a "man". Is a person more important, or is the story more sad, because the person has children? I don't have children. Nor does Pumpkin. If something happens to us, is it less sad that we leave behind a five year old dog than a four year old son? In today's modern media climate, the answer is a resounding yes. We're less important than a parent.

Brevity is the source of wit, it's said, and I'm sorry that there seems to be little of that in this piece. Maybe there's some medication I can take for it. Let me get back to the TV and check.

No comments: