Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Waiting and Wondering

I was surprisingly productive today. Not that I just sit around every day, but I was happy when the quality and the quantity of work I did today.

Regarding the matter of the November 19th entry: I've returned serve and now await the reply. One of the biggest cop-outs of all time to me has been someone quitting their job to "spend more time with family". When someone loses a job in media it's usually because they're a budget cut or an attitude problem. When someone quits a prime gig, it's usually because they don't get along with their boss, their workload increased without more pay, or their workload decreased and they're bringing home less. Yet you'll never hear someone say the real reason they leave. If they have kids, you'll always hear, "I wanted to spend more time with my family".

That excuse is always brought out because it can't be attacked. He/She wants to spend more time with their children? Awww. How can you criticize that? You can't. Well, you can, but you'd be described as a coldhearted bastard without any feelings. I always wondered what the dinner conversation is like for the family whose breadwinner quits to spend more time with them. Does the family resent that person because they're no longer bringing money in to feed, clothe and shelter them? What good does spending more time with family do if, by quitting your job, you've lessened their quality of life? Questions without answers.

My response to the request of November 19th was essentially that I need to spend time with my family. How about that? Nothing's been decided yet. The person who makes the final decision is out of the office and seemingly eternally unreachable. I know I'm doing the right thing, even though nothing's been done yet. I feel like I'm at a 4/6 table waiting for the player next across from me to make a move. And that player holds significantly more chips than me. Question is: depending on the move, do I fold or do I hold?

No comments: