Sunday, September 28, 2008

No Escape

Do you ever have so many things going on in your head that you can actually hear a buzzing sound from it all? I'm having one of those types of mornings. I usually love Sunday mornings for the peace and quiet, but I just can't settle down today. I'm thisclose to a monumentally large headache.

Today, there is a collision course set between sports stress and news stress. The Packers game is locally televised, so I'm obligated to watch. The Brewers game is televised, too, but I'm too terrified to tune in. I know I wrote earlier about filing for divorce from them, but the papers never went through. If the Brewers win, and the Mets lose, the Brewers will make the post-season for the first time since 1982. In just typing that sentence, the buzzing in my head grew louder. It's like someone is sawing a tree down the street. Today, I have twice the sports stress that I usually have. maybe more.

Then there's the news stress. Sunday morning is Opinion Central, with more pundits and prophets than you can swing a dead cat at. They'll analyze the debate, they'll analyze the bailout bills, they'll analyze the economy (there's even one show on CNN that analyzes how the media analyzes. I'm not kidding). At the end of all this analyzing, the consensus will be that this is the worst time ever to be on Planet Earth. You can either buy into that, or go get another cup of coffee. I'll choose the latter.

So today, or this morning at least, there is no escape from the two things that stress me out the most. I've already been to the gym, but my mind was all about sports stress there. I had a hard time focusing. Upon returning home, I brought the Sunday paper in, and that built up my news stress. I'm typing this to purge myself of that, and it seems to be working a little bit. The trouble is, I'm almost done. Funny how the more technically advanced we become, the more difficult it is to actually escape. I really want this day to be over.

But then it would be on to work week stress. Sigh.

No comments: