Tuesday, September 30, 2008

News To Me

Pumpkin will be home shortly, so I've got a little time to kill before fulfilling husband duties. It's been a crazy two days. KDWN is moving me from traffic to news, and that means learning a whole new way of doing things. Quickly. The traffic gig was a snap, hit the roads and report what you see. Cake. Learning to report news is a whole new game, and at 42, I'm not sure I'm good enough for the starting lineup.

I've always said that the only day worse than the first day on the job is the second day. You're just happy to survive the first day, and there's a certain excitement that comes with a new gig, especially in your chosen field. On Day Two, you realize this is going to be your gig, and you're filled with second thoughts. If you're like me, anyway.

I've never approached something new with a confident attitude. Whether it was busing tables, bartending, going to college, losing my virginity, entering radio, coming back to radio, etc- I've always lacked confidence about my ability to do something well. Most of the time, I was wrong (tragically, the lack of confidence about losing my virginity turned out to be accurate). I picked things up quickly, and made the most of it. Perhaps it will be like that in the news game. They think I can do the job and I don't want to let them down. Few things bother me more than disappointing people who have faith in me. I don't know what Day Three holds for me, but it has to be better than today. I was overwhelmed and in way over my head. As always, the staff around me was supportive. I hope I can reward that support with a good effort. Tonight, I doubt that result, but that's par for the course for me.

Pumpkin's home. Time to whip up a good batch of lovin'!

No comments: