Monday, May 19, 2008

A Moving Proposition

I don't mind a weather forecast that calls for record warmth in December. In May, it's a whole different story. Record heat is in the forecast for the next couple of days, and as I've written previously, I'm way over the heat. I spent the better part of the weekend checking out homes in Wisconsin. Towns like Green Bay, Madison, Wausau, Stevens Point. Homes there cost the equivalent of a decent down payment on a home here. Added bonuses?

Yards! Not walled off compounds!

Nice Neighbors!

Relaxed lifestyle!

Ever since Pumpkin and I have been together, we've taken a trip back to Wisconsin each year. With each passing trip, she finds herself loving it more and I find myself missing it more. Sometimes you have to be away for awhile to realize what you've given up. It happens with relationships and happens with geography. Don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. As of tomorrow, I have two weeks left in my non-compete. If things don't go my way, work-wise, I've come to terms with the very real possibility that we may be moving on. Las Vegas has been very good to us, but maybe our relationship with the city is stretched beyond the point of repair. We've sent out for as many Wisconsin travel guides as we could get from the state's website. We're studying a move like a college senior would cram for a final.

Maybe it's just the heat talking. I'm inside the house, the a.c. is set to 79, and I'm still sweating. The forecast for later in the week calls for temps to fall to the 80s, perhaps even with some rain. We'll see what that does to our mood.

"You Can't Go Home Again"- Thomas Wolfe.

I don't think he was a Wisconsin-ite.

No comments: