Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Go Time

It's now less than two weeks until I am free from restrictions allowing me to broadcast in southern Nevada. I have at my disposal many files from my time on the KWNR morning show. Most of the files are from my most recent pairing with Mark Stevens. I've had a hard time convincing myself to listen to these files, fearing that instead of cheering me up, they would make me sad. I'd be sad because I would hear how good the show was, how much fun I had doing it, and feel angerknowing that I was a victim of crushing managerial incompetence.

Correct on all counts.

When I was let go, I had second thoughts about continuing to stay in broadcasting. Six months on the sidelines has told me that broadcasting is where I belong. It's what I do best, and I shouldn't believe that because I was fired that I should find something else to do. To me, that would justify the move that management made in firing me. I don't know if my next broadcast gig will be in Las Vegas. I hope that it is. It's where I'm best known. If I were to go somewhere else, it would truly be like starting over, and that's hard to do.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be mixing in listening to plenty of aircheck files along with vacuuming, dusting, and dog walks. I'll be picking files that best showcase my abilities and putting these files onto discs, ready for shipping to whomever wants to listen. It's a time consuming endeavor, as there are files upon files upon files. The only thing they have on them is the date and the time, so I'll have to listen to them all the way through to see what the subject matter is. I might listen to :30 of a file and think that it's not usable, only to jolted by an audio gem that needs to be saved.

All this doesn't need to be done in the next two weeks. I'd like to think that those people in Vegas that would be interested in me would've heard my work. Nevertheless, if they ask for samples, I'll need to be ready. I can't believe almost six months has passed. Considering all that I've heard about the old station from the day of my firing until now, maybe this has been the better spot to be. An ice cold soda, a game on the tube, loyal dog at my feet, an incredibly understanding wife, and hundreds of files which prove to me that when it comes to broadcasting I knew what I was doing. I know I'll be on the winning end. Sometimes it takes a long, long time to break the tape. I should know in two weeks if I'm close to the finish line or not.

No comments: