Friday, August 29, 2008

Face(book) Time

I'm not proud of it, but I now have a page on the website Facebook. Facebook is a phenomenally popular website were people create their own pages and stay in touch with people they usually see everyday anyway. My page is modest at best, with a photo, a brief profile and a listing of my "friends". Believe me, you'll get more of the good stuff here than there. I'm 42, but yet I've joined something that appeals more to an age group 20-30 years my junior. I got an e-mail from someone who used to listen to KWNR and they invited me to join, so I did. No charge. Though I associate sites like Facebook and My Space with kids, it's remarkable to see the number of adults that populate these pages. The woman who invited me to join happens to be older. I've visited some pages where the number of "friends" people have number in the hundreds. My number of friends?

Four.

One of them happens to be Pumpkin.

I'm fine with that. It seems to me that when you're younger, you want to have as many friends as you can so you can show off how popular you are. As you get older, the circle of friends tends to dwindle down to a precious few. People previously cited as friends become acquaintances, and previous acquaintances merely fade away. I'm in no rush to acquire more friends on Facebook, as that will then obligate me to correspond with them. I'm starting to sound like a crotchety old coot, aren't I? Many friends and wild nights out have been replaced by a handful of trustworthy friends and quiet evenings at home. That's perfectly ok with me.

Off the subject: It's been three years since the levees broke in New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina. How can the town continue to claim economic misery, yet still get 70,000 to come to the Superdome for an NFL pre-season game?? As far as I know, those tickets aren't free. A head scratcher.

Tonight I begin another assignment for KDWN, that of sideline reporter for the high school football game of the week. It's something I've never done before, which means I'm obsessing about the certain failure which is to come. I feel more comfortable in a booth than on site (yes, I consider the SuperCommuter van a booth, of sorts). I've had several nervous visits to the bathroom already today, and we're still six and half hours until kickoff.

Anyone else think it's ironic that we celebrate Labor Day by getting that day off? Shouldn't we still labor? Anyway...

No comments: